K-5 Virtual Program
Fredericksburg City Public Schools is offering two options (virtual learning or in-person learning) for students to receive their kindergarten through grade five education in the 2021-22 school year. Families and students who are interested in virtual learning are encouraged to work through the statements on this document to determine which option will be the best for their child(ren). Students should complete this checklist with an adult who will support the student during virtual instruction. If it is not possible to have an adult in this role, the student should return to school for in person learning.
After reviewing the characteristics below, if you are still unsure whether making a commitment to virtual learning for the second semester is the best fit for your family, talk to your child’s school counselor or administrator.
If you plan to have your child participate in virtual learning during the second semester, January-May 2022, you must complete the online form found at the link below no later than December 13, 2021. Late requests cannot be accepted.
- I am comfortable having less in-person time with my classmates and teachers.
- I am willing to be on camera and am comfortable talking with the teacher and working with my classmates online.
- I understand that online classes can be just as challenging (or in some cases, more challenging) than in-person classes.
- I can stay focused and engage in an online classroom setting for at least 30 uninterrupted minutes.
- I am able to focus on my school work at home without being distracted by things around me (toys, tv, games, etc.).
- I am a good communicator and will ask questions when needed. I enjoy reading, writing, and working with others virtually.
- I like to keep track of my grades and check to be sure I have turned things in on time.
- I was successful during virtual learning in 2020-2021.
- If I am struggling academically, socially or emotionally, I feel comfortable reaching out to my teacher and asking for help.