In Virginia, parents must ensure that a child attends school in compliance with the state compulsory attendance law as specified in § 22.1-254 of the Code of Virginia when the child has reached his 5th birthday on or before September 30 of any school year and has not passed his 18th birthday. The compulsory attendance law requires that a child subject to that law attend a private or public school or receive an education through one of the other Code alternatives to school attendance unless the child falls within one of the Code exceptions. Home instruction or home schooling is one alternative to school attendance and parents may home school “when the requirements of § 22.1-254.1 of the Code have been satisfied.”
Fredericksburg City Public Schools follows the Virginia Department of Home Instruction and Religious Exemption requirements. Contact the Supervisor of Communication and Community Outreach, Sandy Gillenwater at 540-372-1130, ext. 2570.
Parents must meet at least one of four criteria, file an annual Notice of Intent with a description of curriculum and submit annual evidence of progress, and comply with vaccination requirements.
To comply with the home instruction statute, parents must follow these steps:*
Have a high school diploma
Be a “teacher of qualifications prescribed by the Board of Education” (certified teacher)
Provide a program of study or curriculum which may be delivered through a correspondence course or distance learning program or in any other manner
Provide evidence that he is able to provide an adequate education for the child.
3. Submit evidence of academic achievement by August 1 of each year.
- Home Instruction Handbook - Information for parents
- Driver Education Information - Description of correspondence course approval process and related
- Sample Notice of Intent to Provide Home Instruction
- Compulsory Attendance Statutes (§22.1-254 through § 22.1-269.1 of the Code of Virginia)
- Health Requirements for home-instructed, exempted, and excused children (§ 22.1-271.4 of the Code of Virginia)