School Closings and Delays
The superintendent or superintendent’s designee may order the closing, the delay in opening or the early dismissal of any or all schools in order to protect the safety and welfare of the students and staff. Unless employees are notified that their work schedule is changed because of adverse weather or emergency conditions, it is expected that all employees will work according to the terms of their contract and division policy. During adverse weather or emergency conditions, employees follow guidelines from the superintendent related to work schedules. The guidelines may be reviewed by the school board.
In addition to school closing information posted on all of our school and division home pages you can find information concerning school closings or delayed openings for Fredericksburg City Public Schools by checking one of the following:
- Everbridge Text Alerts
- Our Social Media Feeds (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
- School Messenger (Phone Call/Email)
- WFLS (93.3)
- WVBX (99.3)
- WWUZ (96.9)
- WHUR (96.3)
- WNTZ (96.5)
- WGRQ (95.9)
- WGRX (104.5)
- WTOP (107.7)
- Channel 6 - WTVR
- Channel 8 - WRIC TV
- Channel 4 - WRC
- Channel 9 - WUSA
- Channel 7 - WJLA
- Public Access Channel (Comcast - Channel 18/Verizon - Channel 41/Cox - Channel 83)
- School Website
REGULAR OPENING AND CLOSING TIMES
Preschool Programs: Doors open at 8:05AM, tardy bell is at 8:30AM, dismissal at 2PM for 3's, and 3PM for 4's.
Both elementary schools: Doors open at 8AM, tardy bell at 8:30AM, dismissal at 3:15PM.
Walker-Grant Middle: Doors open at 7:15AM, tardy bell at 7:40AM, dismissal at 2:40PM.
James Monroe High: Doors open at 7:15AM, tardy bell at 7:45AM, dismissal at 2:45PM.
EARLY DISMISSAL TIMES
Preschool Programs 12:00 P.M.
Hugh Mercer Elementary School 12:45 P.M.
Lafayette Upper Elementary School 12:45 P.M.
Walker-Grant Middle School 12:00 P.M.
James Monroe High School 12:00 P.M.
INCLEMENT WEATHER LATE OPENINGS (2 HOUR DELAY)
Preschool Programs: Doors open at 10:05AM, tardy bell is at 10:30AM, dismissal at 2PM for 3's and 3PM for 4's.
Both elementary schools: Doors open at 10AM, tardy bell at 10:30AM, dismissal at 3:15PM.
Walker-Grant Middle: Doors open at 9:15AM, tardy bell at 9:40AM, dismissal at 2:40PM.
James Monroe High: Doors open at 9:15AM, tardy bell at 9:45AM, dismissal at 2:45PM.
INCLEMENT WEATHER EARLY CLOSINGS
James Monroe High School will close first at a set time.
Head Start and Preschool will follow immediately. Walker-Grant
Middle School, Lafayette Upper Elementary School, and Hugh
Mercer Elementary School buses will arrive after they make the James Monroe runs.
Dear FCPS Families,
The safety of all Fredericksburg City Public Schools employees, students, staff, and community is a priority for the Superintendent. Ideally, every scheduled school day will operate on a normal schedule as follows.
Please know that Code Blue/Remote Learning Day is new as we work out the details of how remote learning will work.
Open - School buildings are open to students for instruction. All employees should report to work on time as scheduled. Student meals are distributed. No announcement is made.
However, there are factors that impact the ability to have students and staff safely at school each day. The Superintendent must judge each day on its individual merits related to safety. On such days, the Superintendent will announce one of the following operational codes in order to provide guidance to students, families, and staff:
- Schools Closed, Code Green - Students do not come to school nor are they expected to participate in remote learning. Student meals may/may not be distributed.
- Schools Closed, Code Blue/Remote Learning Day - Students do not come to school; however, they are expected to participate in remote learning. Student meals may/may not be distributed.
- § 22.1-98.C.4 When severe weather conditions or other emergency situations have resulted in the closing of any school in a school division for in-person instruction, the school division may declare an unscheduled remote learning day whereby the school provides instruction and student services that are consistent with guidelines established by the Department of Education to ensure the equitable provision of such services. No school division shall claim more than 10 unscheduled remote learning days in a school year unless the Superintendent of Public Instruction grants an extension. (Code of Va.)
- Division Closed, Code Red - Students do not come to school nor are they expected to participate in remote learning. Student meals will not be distributed.
Thank you for your continued support of our division-wide focus on safety.